From: Nick S-A <nova@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Booting Gentoo 2006.1 on an iMac
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 02:46:49
1 On Sep 10, 2006, at 11:37 AM, Charles Trois wrote:
2
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > I am having trouble while installing 2006.1 on my iMac. I have made
6 > other installations before, but never had this problem.
7 > I am using the Universal ppc disk, and I have followed strictly all
8 > the steps in the 2006.1 handbook. I have not made any modules,
9 > everything is in the kernel.
10 >
11 > What happens is that, on the final reboot, I see 10 or 15 lines of
12 > text (is that the Open Firmware part?) that disappear immediately.
13
14 I had a nice message written but my macbook had a Random Shut Down,
15 so here is the condensed version:
16 Do you see the second stage bootloader of yaboot after you press L
17 for GNU/Linux? if so, try hitting tab and appending video=ofonly to
18 the kernel you want to boot that appears. If those 10-15 lines are
19 the second stage bootloader, which it sounds like they are, you can
20 add timeout= to your yaboot.conf as detailed on its guide (I think
21 that it still resides on www.penguinppc.org) so that you have more
22 time to add in that video=ofonly, or just add in the line
23 append="video=ofonly"
24 after your kernel configuration in the yaboot.conf.
25 and make sure that you have your root= correct.
26 finally, you could try init=/bin/sh or the like to try to get into an
27 emergency shell, then blind type setup to get your ethernet modules
28 installed, but that is probably not worth the effort.
29 Also, you might be trying to access a ramdisk without knowing it - be
30 sure to turn off all initrd in yaboot, and make sure that root= is
31 right (there is some strange config with initrd where root is /dev/
32 ramX and there is a real_root or the like which tells where you are
33 supposed to eventually end up after loading appropriate modules).
34
35 > Then there is nothing, and I have to cut the power to go on.
38 Did you try to chroot into your finished install from the liveCD
39 after it finished to make sure everything is OK? You could also
40 reinstall yaboot and see if that helps, or even just run ybin -v.
41
42 > I have also made a more complete version of yaboot.conf with macos,
43 > macosx, etc. Then the bootloader shows these options (ignores
44 > enablecdboot and enableofboot, though). Typing x for macosx
45 > starts it normally, but l for linux fails as described above.
48 I don't know why enablecdboot and enableofboot are not recognised -
49 did you make sure you put them in the beginning of the yaboot.conf
50 before listing all your kernel versions?
51
52 I would say that the problem is most likely that there are video
53 framebuffer problems, and since you cannot connect to the internet or
54 a local subnet to ping/SSH into the computer, it is difficult to
55 debug. I would try adding the video=ofonly, or some other video=
56 (depending on your iMac revision, you could have an ATI Rage, ATI
57 Radeon, NVidia, etc) that should be detailed in the handbook.
58
59 hope that helps!
60 nick
64 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list