From: Stefan Bruda <bruda@×××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Swapping hard drive on G3?
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 22:25:47
1 I have sent a reply only to the original poster by mistake, so I will
2 repeat my correction to the whole list (maybe somebody will find it
3 useful).
4
5 At 15:20 -0600 on 2004-11-9 Daejuan Jacobs wrote:
6 >
7 > Yeah, those first 5 partitions are only for OS X/9.
8
9 Correction: only for OS 9, OS X does not need them (save for the first
10 partition that is needed by everybody--since it is the partition table
11 itself--and gets created by mac-fdisk and similar). In fact newer OS
12 X disk utilities do not create these by default anymore, one has to
13 check "install compatibility drivers" or something like this to have
14 them.
15
16 If you don't plan to use OS 9 (or plan to use OS 9 only from the OS
17 X's Classic environment or MOL) then you can safely ignore all of them
18 and just initialize your replacement disk using mac-fdisk.
19
20 Cheers,
21 Stefan
22
23 P.S. Admins, would you consider pointing the default reply-to header
24 to the list instead of the original poster, many times I just hit
25 reply and the message goes to the poster instead of the list at large.
28 If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
29 it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
30 --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
33 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list