From: Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 19:17:26
On 10/07/10 14:29, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o> wrote: >>>> Okay, so we fixed the first thing. That's good. :) Can you attach your >>>> whole kernel config? I'm wondering if maybe udev isn't running properly >>>> due to a misconfiguration. >>>> >>>> -Joe >>> Attached unless GMail does something to it. >>> >>> Thanks, >>> Mark >> Another busy week, but I think we might have your answer. >> >> Disable these options in your kernel config, recompile and give it a try: >> CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y >> CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y >> >> I think these options interfere with udev. >> -Joe > Thank you Joe. For the first time in a couple of months the machine just booted. > > Note that I didn't easily find CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED in make > menuconfig so I only disabled CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 which was > enough to allow it to boot. > > I took a quick look at the PPC install guide and frankly I don't see > instructions there to disable this option, although I have done this > on other machines. Is it just me or are the instructions actually not > in the kernel config section. If they are truly missing then it would > be great if someone could update that. > > Anyway, it seems completely unreasonable for me, after all this, to > just say thanks for the help. It doesn't begin to represent how > appreciative I am of the time you spent looking into this with me. I > really am indebted. > > Cheers, > Mark > >
No problem! I'm glad it's working. The documentation has not been updated recently, and it's on my list of things to do. Unfortunately, so are a lot of other things. :) I've added it to my documentation fix it list, I'll make sure to get this added to the documentation as soon as I find some free time. Most people aren't hit by the bug because when udev is installed, it warns that these options will cause problems. You got lucky I guess! :) Glad you stuck with it! -Joe