From: AJ Ashton <aj.ashton@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Turning off HFS+ journaling
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 00:05:37
I would like to install Gentoo to a small partition on my iMac G5,
preferably without killing OS X. In the Gentoo handbook, "Preparing
the Disks" it says:

"Warning: parted is able to resize partitions. On the Installation CD
there are patches included to resize HFS+ filesystem. Unfortunately it
is risky to resize HFS+ journaled filesystems, be sure to switch off
journaling in Mac OS X first and make sure to run a disk checking tool
after the resize."

In Disk Utility I can only find out how to turn journaling on, not
off. Is there some other way to do this? (Console command, etc?) I am
running OS X 10.4.2.

If there is no way to turn off journalling, how dangerous is resizing
a journaled partition? (What am I risking? Data loss? A broken
system?)  I have backed up my most important data, but I would like to
keep the system intact if possible.

--
AJ Ashton