From: shay.stowe@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] iBook G4 & ALSA
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:13:02
1 I cannot seem to get ALSA to work on my iBook G4 2003 800Mhz.
2 DMA is picking up the in built soundcard and I am getting audio in KDE but
3 it is very tinny.
4 I have been through the documentation and installed all of the relevent
5 modules as part of the kernel (2.6.7).
6
7 Any time I try to run alsasound I get a Fatal Message around the
8 snd-powermac load.
9 Should this be trying to load if it was built as part of the kernel ?
10
11 I have tried rebuilding the kernel with all of the sound components as
12 modules and loading them but
13 this still produces the same results as the snd-powermac still fails to
14 load even though it is present (Device not found)
15
16 So a couple of questions:
17 Should I be using the sound components as part of the kernel or as
18 modules ?
19 Is snd-powermac the right driver for an iBook G4 2003 800Mhz ?
20 If everything is part of the kernel what should my /etc/modules.d/alsa
21 file look like ?
22 If everything is part of the kernel what should my
23 /etc/modules.d/aliases look like (I have put the relevant alias entries
24 for sound here) ?
25 If I am using modules what should my /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
26 look like ?
27 If I am using modules what should my /etc/modules.d/alsa look like ?
28 If I am using modules what should my /etc/modules.d/aliases look like ?
29
30 I am not quite a linux beginner but by no means an expert, I have trudged
31 through everything I can google on this subject and am wondering
32 at this stage if alsa works at all on my machine, or have I just made a
33 stupid config mistake (I really don't think so, I was fairly meticulous) ?
34
35 As I said I have sound in KDE without alsa I am assuming this is due to my
36 dmasound and keywest settings in my aliases file.
37 Any help would be much appreciated.
38
39 Sincerely,
40 Shay Stowe