From: Eric Robertson <ericrobe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] pbbuttonsd question
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 18:54:05
Alden Huang wrote:
> Eric Robertson wrote: > >> I had a problem when I upgraded kernels as well. When on the 2.6.15 >> kernel I2C was a module. I did not change this config when I first >> compiled the 2.6.16 kernel. I re-compiled w/ I2C compiled intot he >> kernel & the lcd & sensor started to work but I still cannot get the >> keyboard light to work. >> >> Konstantin V. Gavrilenko wrote: >> >>> I have the same problem as you do, but in my case the ambient lights >>> sensor doesn't work either. >>> This happened after a switch from 2.6.15 to 2.6.16. I think the reasons >>> might be in the I2C module that has been changed. >>> >>> In the 2.6.15 it was I2C_KEYWEST while in 2.6.16 it is named >>> I2C_POWERMAC. >>> Wrote an email to the author of the pbbuttons but had no reply. It >>> would >>> be great if we can sort out the problem in this list. >>> >>> p.s. >>> machine : PowerBook5,4 >>> motherboard : PowerBook5,4 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh >>> detected as : 287 (PowerBook G4 15") >>> >>> pbbuttonsd, version 0.7.5 >>> Linux maca 2.6.16-gentoo-r7 >>> >>> yours, >>> kos >>> >>> >>> >> > Hi there, > > I'm not sure if this will be of help... I have an older model G4 ibook > (with a G3 proc) which does not have the lighted keyboard feature... > > check to make sure you have event interface enabled (the EVDEV module) > in your kernel. Also enable APM emulation or something like that under > the new Mac drivers menu. > > I've also noticed that the pbbuttonsd.conf default kbd light value is > 0, maybe that needs a different value? Have you tried changing the > light sensor threshold values as well? also running pbbcmds? any luck > with that? > > I dunno...hope this was somewhat helpful... > > best, > alden
Thanks for the suggestion - EVDEV is enabled as part of the kernel. apm_emu is loading as a module. My pbbuttonsd.conf has the kbd illumination value is set to 0 but it is also commented out. Since I was looking at my kernel config I went ahead & made 2 changes & compiled a new kernel to test. old kernel (per the .config file): i2c support config_i2c=y config_i2c_chardev=y i2c algorithms config_i2c_algobit=y config_i2c_algopcf is not set config_i2c_algopca is not set i2c hardware bus support ... config_i2c_powermac=y ... misc. i2c chip support ... (nothing is configured here) new kewrel (per the new .config file): i2c support config_i2c=y config_i2c_chardev=y i2c algorithms config_i2c_algobit=y config_i2c_algopcf is not set config_i2c_algopca is not set i2c hardware bus support ... config_i2c_powermac=y ... miscellaneous i2c chip support ... config_i2c_debug_core=y config_i2c_debug_algo is not set config_i2c_debug_bus=y The result, my syslog is filling up w/ hundreds of lines detailing the i2c devices loaded & the keyboard now lights up. When I boot back to the "old" kernel (the one without the debug_core & debug_bus enabled) it stops working. lcd brightness works on both of them works on both. I ran a diff on the 2 .config files and verified that there were no changes other than what I just documented. my confusion has just increased.... Eric -- gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list