From: Andrew McCall <mccall@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: carl@×××××××.org, gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] No local video on PowerMac 8600 - Help?
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 08:23:41
1 Carl Hudkins wrote:
2
3 >Hi, all...
4 >
5 > I've done a very successful install of Gentoo on an old-world Mac, and
6 >almost everything works as I'd expect it to, with one major exception
7 >that prevents me from giving it away to a friend who has no computer:
8 >Nothing displays on the monitor except for something immediately upon
9 >startup that looks like a CPU register dump. Other than that, it's fully
10 >functional (well, unable to mount any Zip disk), and through some blind
11 >typing I set up SSH so that I can log in from my PC to do things.
12 >
13 > I have to admit, I'm stumped, as I've never had to deal with this kind of
14 >problem before. Dmesg doesn't show anything that jumps out at me, and I
15 >pretty much left the kernel video options at the defaults, I believe. I
16 >don't want to clutter the list by attaching a bunch of stuff right now,
17 >but if you have some suggestions about what to look at or send along,
18 >I'll be glad to do so.
19 >
20 >Thanks for any clues,
21 >
22 It might help if you explain a little about the hardware you are using -
23 What system is it? Does it have on-board video or is it supplied via a
24 PCI/AGP card (or both!)? If its a PCI card, what card is it? Are you
25 using any kernel arguments wih the program you are booting with? I think
26 you can type something like append video=0 or something to force the
27 video to work.
28
29 Hope with this extra info someone will be able to help!
30
31 Andrew McCall.
35 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list