From: "David Bélanger" <dbelan2@×××××××××.ca>
To: Rod Furey <rod@×××××××××××××.nl>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user <gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] x86 emu on ppc
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:39:57
1 On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:39:49AM +0100, Rod Furey wrote:
2 > On Mar 17, 2004, at 9:05 PM, alexander klosch wrote:
3 >
4 > >>Bochs is pretty good at emulating an x86 machine. I've used it under
5 > >>Mac OS X for various things.
6 > >
7 > >yes, I'm trying right now with under gentoo.
8 > >but its damn slow .. how was ur experience under mac os?
11 > Slow. Alas.
12 >
13 > Rod
16 Hi,
17
18 My x86 (AMD Athlon 1200MHz) and ppc (G3 700MHz) are more or less the same
19 speed. I installed Win95 on Bochs on FreeBSD/x86 and installation went
20 fast and speed seemed acceptable. However, when I did the same thing on
21 OS X several weeks/months later, it was quite slow installing Win95 and
22 speed really not
23 acceptable.. But I somehow could not really find my FreeBSD Bochs setup
24 to really compare side by side.
25
26 I remember seeing on the Bochs forums people trying out different
27 compilation/configurations options for OS X/ppc and getting some
28 improvements.
29
30 David
31