From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Building new kernel - a few questions
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:55:23
1 On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM, matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > > 1) Sound. What's the proper Alsa driver for this machine? lspci shows
4 > > the following:
5 > >
6 > > MacMini ~ # lspci
9 > i dont think the sound is on the pci bus, thats why lspci will not show it.
10 > i dont have the kernel sources here so i can not check how i set mine up.
13 OK, that makes sense.
16 > > image=/boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3
17 > > label=2.6.24-gentoo-r3
18 > > root=/dev/hda4
19 > > partition=4
20 > > append="video=radeonfb:1024x768-8@60"
21 > > read-only
22 > >
23 > > image=/boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3_A
24 > > label=2.6.24-gentoo-r3_A
25 > > root=/dev/hda4
26 > > partition=4
27 > > append="video=radeonfb:1024x768-8@60"
28 > > read-only
29 > >
30 > > and once everything is in place run ybin -v.
31 > >
32 > > Does that sound correct?
35 > yes, except i would shorten the label since you have to type that in.
36 >
37 > matt
38
39 Great. Thanks.
40
41 Since I wrote this email earlier this morning I managed to get the new
42 kernel booted and sound it working. MythTV works OK and controls sound
43 levels as long as I set the sound device to PCM inside of Myth.
44
45 The one problem I'm having right now is that when I try to shut the
46 machine down it hangs on 'Unloading Alsa modules". Only way out so far
47 is the power switch. I'm scanning around for info on this sort of
48 problem but haven't found anyone else reporting it as of yet. Not a
49 good problem but the machine is at least usable.
50
51 cheers,
52 Mark
53 --