From: Michael George <george@××××××××××.com>
To: stuporglue <stuporglue@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] problems with gentoo on bone-stock powermac
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:29:58
1 On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 07:15:53AM -0700, stuporglue wrote:
2 > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:15:01 -0400, Michael George
3 > <george@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > I've spend the most of the past 4 evenings trying to get gentoo to install on
5 > > my PowerMac. Bone stock, 800 Quicksilver. Nothing special, nothing strange.
6 > >
7 > > Reformatted the disk and followed the PPC install handbook.
8 > >
9 > > I built the defult picked ethernet drivers as modules and also the Sun GEM
10 > > module (though I don't have gigabit eth). However, after going through all
11 > > that, the system boots and it does not see that it has an ethernet card.
12 > >
13 > > Before this last complete install I had the drivers build into the kernel.
14 > > Same results.
15 > >
16 > > But when booting from the 2004.1 CDROM, it sees the network with no problem.
17 > >
18 > > Is the 2.6 kernel on ppc kinda buggy/broken? Anyone have a clue what might be
19 > > the problem?
20 >
21 > If you built them as modules, you need to load them for the device to
22 > show up. You can auto load them at boot by editing
23 > /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, or you can manually load them
24 > afterwards.To see the modules you can load run "modprobe -l" as root.
25 > Odds are there are a bunch of them, so you may want to try "modprobe
26 > -l | grep ***" substituting sun, gem, eth, net, or other things that
27 > may show up in a module name. When you have the module name, run
28 > (again, as root) "modprobe gem" or whatever it is.
29
30 You were right, I have to have the system automatically load the module for
31 the ethernet driver. I guess I was used to SuSE and RHL where the right
32 kernel modules "just work". I guess I could build the Sun GEM driver into the
33 kernel and then there would be no problems, either. Before I had the wrong
34 driver built in...
35
36 Thanks!
39 -M
40
41 There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
42 Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.
45 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list