From: mindfuq@××××××.com
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Running ppc64 stuff on a G5: Is it practical?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:30:38
1 I'm had difficulties installing Gentoo on a dual G5, and I think it's a
2 combination of the fact that I'm completely new to low-level installs (as
3 opposed to RH type installs), and the fact that 64 bit Gentoo seems to not
4 be ready for prime-time yet.
5
6 None of the mirrors have the necessary tools for this installation. It's
7 only available in people personal directories, and has notes to supplement
8 the mainstream install guide. I followed the process given at
9 http://dev.gentoo.org/~tgall, and ran into issues with gcc. (I will paste
10 the error dump here if anyone is interested.)
11
12 Is anyone here up and running with 64 bit Gentoo on a G5?
13
14 I've started to install 32 bit Gentoo, hoping that it won't be impossible to
15 make the jump to 64 bit next. Are you folks installing the 64 bit stuff
16 from scratch, or upgrading 32 bit installations in pieces?
19 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list