From: "David Bélanger" <dbelan2@×××××××××.ca>
To: "d. Taylor Singletary" <taylor@××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Headphone/Video-out Jack on iBook
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:35:22
1 On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 08:22:58AM -0700, d. Taylor Singletary wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I've searched through the FAQ and the forums and can't seem to find
6 > anything about this. My gentoo system running on my dual-usb iBook 500
7 > doesn't seem to support the headphone-size jack on the side of the
8 > laptop. No sound outputs from it for headphones, and nor does it output
9 > video. I thought this was all hardware and not in the least bit a
10 > software bit? Any support planned/or configurable on this?
13 Hi,
14
15 For the headphone jack, I never had any problem (with the dual-usb iBook
16 700MHz) so I don't know what could go wrong. I notice however messages
17 from the kernel saying something like headphones plugged, disabling the
18 speakers when the iBook wakes/goes to sleep. So it may somehow be
19 kernel related. However, I have no clue. Maybe something wrong with
20 the volume if both can be controlled independently?
21
22 For the video output, I was never able to get it to work simply by
23 plugging it. Their are some hacks booting with the monitor plugged in
24 or different Xfree config but it was not successful on my side.
25
26 Note that for older iBooks there is a command line tool that allows
27 switching the video output. The tool is called m3mirror (search Google
28 for info). It will not work on iBook with Radeon video cards however.
29 I don't know if your iBook is old enough.
30
31 If you get the video output work conveniently on the iBook, I would be
32 interested to know about it.
33
34 For PowerBooks it seems that it works by simply plugging the
35 monitor/projector.
36
37 David
38