From: Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 05:05:04
1 My responses are inline this time. It's easier when there's so much
2 going on!
3
4 On 09/23/10 16:41, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 > Two pictures posted:
6 >
7 > Top half of boot screen:
8 > http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018717650/
9 >
10 > Bottom half of boot screen
11 > http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018718202/
14 Okay, these look exactly as expected. You've booted into the shell fine
15 and the kernel does detect the hard drive fine. It appears that the disk
16 was not cleanly unmounted, which is what the messages in the bottom
17 picture indicate. Once you get USB working so we can type into the
18 console, we'll take a look at what's actually going on.
19
20 > Full USB HID support is built as modular. I don't seem to be able to
21 > change it to built in. make menuconfig is only giving me modular or
22 > not set. (Kernel config USB info this is set is at the end)
23 If you use menuconfig and you go to the "Help" option, it will tell you
24 what dependencies need to be set in order to build the module. Most
25 likely, you did not set the USB subsystem itself to be built in.
26 > lspci says the controller is an Apple controller and the driver is
27 > 'macio' which seems sensible. I see it in the boot screen I think.
28 > That driver is built in, but the PATA_MACIO driver is not:
29 >
30 > (chroot) livecd linux # cat .config | grep MACIO
31 > # CONFIG_PATA_MACIO is not set
32 > CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y
33 > (chroot) livecd linux #
34 >
35 > Maybe I've mistakenly left the right disk driver out of the kernel
36 > thinking the hardware was SATA based? Does the PATA_MACIO option need
37 > to be set for the Mac Mini? I don't understand how this kernel config
38 > would have ever worked befor unless I'm confusing where it came from.
41 You're using the old style driver which results in devices named hdX#.
42 It's called IDE_PMAC. The new driver which uses the sdX# naming
43 convention (and uses libpata), is called PATA_MACIO.
44
45 > Does the append="init=/bin/bash" command allow the kernel to load
46 > drivers or do I need to build USBHID into the kernel to get the
47 > keyboard to work at this level of boot?
48
49 I would built it in for now, it'll be easier since there's no good way
50 to get into the system to tell it to load the drivers.
51
52 -Joe