From: Enlightened User <linux@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 22:44:05
1 On Sep 24, 2010, at 4:30 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >> My responses are inline this time. It's easier when there's so much
6 >> going on!
7 >>
8 >> On 09/23/10 16:41, Mark Knecht wrote:
9 >>> Two pictures posted:
10 >>>
11 >>> Top half of boot screen:
12 >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018717650/
13 >>>
14 >>> Bottom half of boot screen
15 >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018718202/
16 >>>
17 >>
18 >> Okay, these look exactly as expected. You've booted into the shell
19 >> fine
20 >> and the kernel does detect the hard drive fine. It appears that the
21 >> disk
22 >> was not cleanly unmounted, which is what the messages in the bottom
23 >> picture indicate. Once you get USB working so we can type into the
24 >> console, we'll take a look at what's actually going on.
25 >>
26 >>> Full USB HID support is built as modular. I don't seem to be able to
27 >>> change it to built in. make menuconfig is only giving me modular or
28 >>> not set. (Kernel config USB info this is set is at the end)
29 >> If you use menuconfig and you go to the "Help" option, it will tell
30 >> you
31 >> what dependencies need to be set in order to build the module. Most
32 >> likely, you did not set the USB subsystem itself to be built in.
33 >>> lspci says the controller is an Apple controller and the driver is
34 >>> 'macio' which seems sensible. I see it in the boot screen I think.
35 >>> That driver is built in, but the PATA_MACIO driver is not:
36 >>>
37 >>> (chroot) livecd linux # cat .config | grep MACIO
38 >>> # CONFIG_PATA_MACIO is not set
39 >>> CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y
40 >>> (chroot) livecd linux #
41 >>>
42 >>> Maybe I've mistakenly left the right disk driver out of the kernel
43 >>> thinking the hardware was SATA based? Does the PATA_MACIO option
44 >>> need
45 >>> to be set for the Mac Mini? I don't understand how this kernel
46 >>> config
47 >>> would have ever worked befor unless I'm confusing where it came
48 >>> from.
49 >>>
50 >>
51 >> You're using the old style driver which results in devices named
52 >> hdX#.
53 >> It's called IDE_PMAC. The new driver which uses the sdX# naming
54 >> convention (and uses libpata), is called PATA_MACIO.
55 >>
56 >>> Does the append="init=/bin/bash" command allow the kernel to load
57 >>> drivers or do I need to build USBHID into the kernel to get the
58 >>> keyboard to work at this level of boot?
59 >>
60 >> I would built it in for now, it'll be easier since there's no good
61 >> way
62 >> to get into the system to tell it to load the drivers.
63 >>
64 >> -Joe
68 > Hi Joe,
69 > OK - I got USB working and with the append="init=/bin/bash" in I
70 > can at least do cd and ls commands.
71 >
72 > All the devices you asked about exist - /dev/hda1 through 20,
73 > /dev/hdb1 through 20, /dev/null and /dev/zero - all exist.
74 >
75 > Doing know if it's a clue but in this append="init=/bin/bash"
76 > state I was unable to do a reboot or a shutdown as it complained about
77 > missing initctl I think?
78 >
79 > Being that I made a number of changes to the kernel config to get
80 > USB working I remove the append line from yaboot.conf and tried
81 > booting into Gentoo proper but it's still stopping at the same place
82 > with the same message about no mtab file.
83 >
84 > I'll put the append back in and wait for further ideas.
85 >
86 > Thanks for sticking with me!
87 >
88 > Cheers,
89 > Mark
90 >
91 Assuming you are still stopping near:
92 fsck.ext3...
93
94 Can you confirm that /sbin/fsck.ext3 exists?
95 If not, then emerge e2fsprogs.
96
97 Barry