From: Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] problems with PowerBook G4
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:41:27
1 Nicholas S-A wrote:
2 > hello,
3 > I have installed Gentoo PPC (2005.1) on my 800 Mhz Titanium PowerBook G4
4 > successfully (it boots). I have some problems, however, and I was
5 > wondering if anyone could help me. As it stands, I can not do the
6 > following which I would like:
7 > 1) I cannot configure ethernet (on eth0) or airport (on eth1, wifi1, and
8 > wlan1). after running "alias eth0=sungem" and "alias eth1=airport",
9 > "alias wifi1=airport", and "alias wlan1=airport", I still cannot connect
10 > using net.eth0 and net.eth1, etc, config and ifup eth0/ifup eth1. It
11 > says (I am booted into OSX now because I cannot get mail from Gentoo, so
12 > this might be a little off):
13 > ifconfig: eth0: device not found
14 > or something like that. The same goes for eth1. Is there a guide
15 > somewhere that I could read about configuring ethernet and airport under
16 > gentoo?
17
18 It sounds like you haven't included the modules for airport and your
19 network card in your kernel. Make sure that they are at least marked
20 <M>, but I prefer to build them into my kernel (marked by <*>).
21
22 > 2) I have a problem with my kernel. When I try to boot off of a kernel
23 > that I complied myself, it always gives " returning* 0x01400000 from
24 > prom_init"* as an error in the Open Firmware white background, then NO
25 > MORE TEXT is outputted, and it freezes. Apparently, this error is common
26 > with powermac G5's (except with more text and a return to the OF
27 > prompt), but why my old powerbook has it I do not know. to compile the
28 > kernel, I ran
29 > make clean dep modules modules_install vmlinux
30 > dep was not needed. My system says making the vmlinux image worked fine.
31 > however, it does not boot, instead giving the above error. Any ideas on
32 > how I could get it to work?
33
34 You haven't compiled in a framebuffer device. On that machine you need
35 to have RadeonFB compiled into your kernel.
36
37 > 3) I cannot mount hfs+ filesystems. When I run
38 > mount /dev/hda13 /mnt/share
39 > or
40 > mount -t hfs /dev/hda13 /mnt/share
41 > it complains that it does not know what hfs is. What are the steps for
42 > mounting an hfs+ partition under linux? or should I just switch to UFS?
43
44 You'll need to have support for HFS+ compiled into your kernel. Make
45 sure that it is compiled in. For HFS+ filesystems, the type is hfsplus,
46 not hfs.
47
48 > 4) This is a question about Mac-On-Linux. I was wondering how to install
49 > and run it. I have it installed, but when I run what it says to on the
50 > man pages, I get some errors about the display, and I think the OSX
51 > partition (I am really sorry I am so vague, but I forgot it since
52 > running MOL is not as high a priority right now as getting my linux
53 > system configured). It does the same thing when run in an xterm or
54 > Terminal Window (GNOME).
55
56 Yeah, I'll need some more information to help you with this.
57
58 > 5) How do I configure multiple virtual command lines and switch between
59 > them? I had it working at one point, but it no longer functions. initrc
60 > says all the spawn extra terminal commands, but I cannot switch between
61 > displays using any key commands I know of.
62
63 It should be working, as you said initrc is spawning the terminals. On
64 my powerbook, I press Alt + F# to switch the terminals, but if you're
65 not running pbbuttonsd, you'll need to press fn + Alt + F#.
66
67 Good luck!
68 -Joe
69 --