From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Glibc pooched. Borked system.
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 21:12:28
quoth the David Bélanger:
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:33:14PM -0800, darren kirby wrote: > > Did you try the glibc on the installation/Live CDs? > If there is no packages, simply copy all the glibc files over and try > it.
I have the universal install disk. The glibc package here will just be source code wont it? I guess I could just re-unpack the stage 3 file, but I am unsure how this will affect the packages I have already installed/updated, such as everything you do after unpacking the stage tarball in the install guide. I am unsure of how to separate the glibc files from the rest in the stage tarball.
> Basically, if you don't want to reinstall, you need a good glibc and > a good toolchain (gcc, binutils). > > Once you have that, rebuild glibc. > > > 2. Is this problem a sign of things to come? Is gentoo on ppc not stable > > enough to use as a server? Any advice from experts on this? > > Gentoo is not really design for production environments because you > have no guarranty if all packages have been tested with the exact > same settings, lib version, gcc version, etc. as you.
Well, I am well aware of the strengths/weaknesses of gentoo. I should say that my current server, ie: the one I am trying to replace with this G4 box, has been running gentoo for a couple years with no problems.
> It does not really have things to do with the ppc architecture itself.
Perhaps not, but I have run into this glibc problem in the first day! So what I am trying to find out is if the packages I will be relying on (apache, exim, mysql, named etc...) are reliable enough to use on this platform.
> I would recommend using an other operating system than Gentoo for your > server if keeping it running 24/24 and smoothly is an issue. Also, > for servers, you probably don't want to do updates other than security > updates.
The server just runs my personal web/mailserver publically, and does pop3 and DNS service for the private network behind it. I don't think you could call this a "production" server with a strait face. While I do strive for reliability with it, the worst that can happen if it goes down is bounced mail, and "Unknown host" messages for those trying to view my webpages. My more pressing concern is for security. I am currently running a hardened kernel and toolchain, and would like to do the same with this one.
Thanks for the reply, -d -- darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..." - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972