From: Florian Friesdorf <flow@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Linux installed from 2005.1 disk does not start
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 13:20:14
On Saturday 01 October 2005 10:47, Charles Trois wrote:
> Hello! > > I am posting this to both gentoo-user and gentoo-ppc-user lists. > My problem concerns the installation of Gentoo Linux on my G4 iMac, > using the 2005.1 universal ppc disk. > > I should first mention that I have done this before, using the 2005.0 > disk, and there was no trouble whatsoever. > > Now I have the same hardware and the same partitions. The install > process went smoothly to its end, the kernel compiled at the first > attempt, and the bootloader is well configured. > > But when I boot and choose "l for Linux", I get this message (copied > by hand):
Is Mac OS X still booting? Can you still boot from CD?
> Please wait, loading kernel > Elf32 kernel loaded > Loading System.map > System.map loaded at 01700000, size:260 Kbytes > Opening display /pci@f0/NVDA,NVMac@10... ok > Copying OF device tree...done > Calling quiesce... > returning 0x01400000 from prom_init > > And then everything hangs; the only way out is to cut the power.
I had a similar problem with an iBook G3 (2xUSB) some years ago. It got solved by Apple replacing some hardware. Everything was working fine with Mac OS X but after the linux install it did not want to reboot anymore at all but just brought that quiesce message - however without the returning line - iirc. maybe it helps... flo -- gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list