From: Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] xorg.conf for Mac G4 mini
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:15:16
> > SubSection "Display" > Depth 8 > Virtual 640 400 > Modes "640x400" "720x400" "640x480" "640x480" > EndSubSection
These modes are picked by xac (and probably the X server as well) because if you look at the EDID reported by your monitor, these are the modes it supports: ET: [[720, 400, 70], [640, 480, 75], [640, 480, 67]] (the last 640x480 comes from the "DT" section which is the detailed timing) How is your monitor attached? Does it produce a correct EDID elsewhere? I looked up the model # (from the EDID) and it appears that you are correct in using a 1024x768 default (although the manual suggests a 75Hz refresh). In light of this, I would completely remove the "Modes" section and "UseModes", "HorizSync" and "VertRefresh" lines from your xorg.conf and keep the screen size at 1024x768. I would also add the the line: Option "IgnoreEDID" "True" to the "Device" section to force the driver to ignore this incorrect edid information. Now, in the second email, it appears that X is starting properly, perhaps there is an issue with your wm/desktop. Can you install a minimal wm (like fluxbox or twm) and put that in your .xinitrc, then run startx again? Does this bring you to a working desktop? -Joe