From: "L. S." <lsearchw@××××××××××××.us>
To: "\\ \" \\ \"" <gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Install
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 03:31:06
1 Okay. Well, here is where it gets fishy plus the emerge stuff with a stage 3 CD source:
2 (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?part=1&chap=6)
5 So do I need to do the USE flags step? Isn't this for compilation (which I am assuming is done already)? Any quick coaching in this shady area would help since I just need a Linux running.
8 I'm a MkLinux user, turned LinuxPPC user, turned Yellow Dog/NetBSD/FreeBSD user. My G3 laptop died and I need Linux on this new portable because the PostgreSQL C-interface libraries (which my app uses) don't work on OSX. So I'm having to comment-out db code and simulate the database results until I get home to my Linux and BSD machines, then reintegrate and test the real code. What a waste of time. :-) (YDL disks were tosssed out about a month ago and Debian is not seeing my hard drive.)
11 >Hi,
12 >
13 >All steps are basically required except the bootstrap (if you use stage
14 >3).
15 >
16 >After bunzip2ing stage 3, you have a working build system (gcc etc.).
17 >You need to bunzip2 a portage snapshot should be available somewhere on
18 >the CD. This will give you emerge etc. I think it is kept separately
19 >as portage (emerge etc.) version must more or less be in sync with the
20 >portage tree files.
23 >David
24 >
25 >---