From: Charles Trois <charles.trois@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Linux installed from 2005.1 disk does not start
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 08:48:28
Hello!

I am posting this to both gentoo-user and gentoo-ppc-user lists.
My problem concerns the installation of Gentoo Linux on my G4 iMac,
using the 2005.1 universal ppc disk.

I should first mention that I have done this before, using the 2005.0
disk, and there was no trouble whatsoever.

Now I have the same hardware and the same partitions. The install
process went smoothly to its end, the kernel compiled at the first
attempt, and the bootloader is well configured.

But when I boot and choose "l for Linux", I get this message (copied by
hand):

Please wait, loading kernel
Elf32 kernel loaded
System.map loaded at 01700000, size:260 Kbytes
Opening display /pci@f0/NVDA,NVMac@10...  ok
Copying OF device tree...done
Calling quiesce...
returning 0x01400000 from prom_init

And then everything hangs; the only way out is to cut the power.

This is quite obscure to me and I am completely puzzled. I have found
this occurrence (or something similar) reported a number of times on the
Web, but without any useful answer.

Has anybody on this list got an idea? I shall be grateful for all
suggestions.

Charles