From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 23:00:22
1 Hi,
2 OK, I'm dead tired. I admit it - yaboot has kicked my butt this
3 time around. Can anyone help? I did post this problem here 2-3 weeks
4 ago but still haven't been able to solve the problem so I'm back to
5 the well for another drink.
6
7 The machine is the original 80GB PPC Mac Mini. I used to run Gentoo
8 on it and it ran great for years so I know at one time yaboot worked
9 just fine. For various reasons I hadn't updated it in a long, long
10 time (2 years) and instead of trying to go through the Gentoo update
11 process which is difficult after that much time I decided to just do a
12 new install. I saved copies of my kernel config and etc/make.conf but
13 unfortunately, being primarily an x86 guy didn't think to save
14 yaboot.conf and fstab. I've now done 5 complete Gentoo installs,
15 starting over from scratch in case something I was doing was messing
16 things up but so far I cannot get the machine to boot. Every time, no
17 matter what I do at install time, I get a message
18
19 "Can't check if filesystem is mounted due to a missing mtab file"
20
21 A somewhat out of focus screen shot is shown here:
22
23 http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5014227831
24
25 Generally speaking I'm following the Gentoo PPC install guide located here:
26
27 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?part=1&chap=10
28
29 I've tried both the yabootconfig method as well as manual route.
30 Nothing works for me so far. THey both fail the same way.
31
32 It's not in the photo but all the way through the boot the kernel
33 calls the hard drives /dev/hda so I'm assuming that's correct in
34 fstab.
35
36 The kernel is 2.6.34-gentoo-r2 and the kernel config file is attached.
37 ext3 is built into the kernel so that shouldn't be a problem. I built
38 the kernel using the older 2.6.31 kernel config I saved.
39
40 As a _hardware_ test I reinstalled the old OS X that came with the
41 machine and it boots fine. I blew it away and installed Ubuntu 10.04
42 for the PPC and it boots fine, but Ubuntu uses and initrc which I've
43 never used before with Gentoo. (And why on this machine as the
44 hardware is fixed has kernel drivers.)
45
46 I'm a long time Gentoo user. The main Gentoo install seems to work
47 fine on this machine. As best I can tell it's only the yaboot stuff
48 not booting that's holding me up from using this little machine again.
49
50 Can anyone see what I've done wrong?
51
52 Thanks,
53 Mark
54
55 livecd ~ # mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo
56 livecd ~ # mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
57 livecd ~ # mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
58 livecd ~ # mount -o bind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
59 livecd ~ # chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
60 livecd / # env-update
61 >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
62 livecd / # source /etc/profile
63 livecd / # export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
64 (chroot) livecd / # cat /etc/yaboot.conf
65
66 boot=/dev/hda2
67 #device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:
68 device=hd:
69 timeout=30
70 install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
71 magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
72
73 image=/boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r1
74 label=Gentoo-2.6.34-r1
75 partition=4
76 root=/dev/hda4
77 read-only
78 (chroot) livecd / # mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda
79 /dev/hda
80 # type name length base
81 ( size ) system
82 /dev/hda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
83 ( 31.5k) Partition map
84 /dev/hda2 Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap 1600 @ 64
85 (800.0k) NewWorld bootblock
86 /dev/hda3 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 2097152 @ 1664
87 ( 1.0G) Linux swap
88 /dev/hda4 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root 154202672 @
89 2098816 ( 73.5G) Linux native
90
91 Block size=512, Number of Blocks=156301488
92 DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
93
94 (chroot) livecd / # cat /etc/fstab
95 /dev/hda4 / ext3 noatime 0 1
96 /dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
97
98 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user 0 0
99
100 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
101 shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
102 (chroot) livecd / # ybin -v
103 ybin: Finding OpenFirmware device path to `/dev/hda2'...
104 ybin: Installing first stage bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot onto /dev/hda2...
105 ybin: Installing primary bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot onto /dev/hda2...
106 ybin: Installing /etc/yaboot.conf onto /dev/hda2...
107 ybin: Setting attributes on ofboot...
108 ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot...
109 ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot.conf...
110 ybin: Blessing /dev/hda2 with Holy Penguin Pee...
111 ybin: Updating OpenFirmware boot-device variable in nvram...
112 (chroot) livecd / # ls -al /boot/kernel*
113 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5547992 Sep 22 11:06 /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r1
114 (chroot) livecd / # exit
115 exit
116 livecd ~ # umount /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo/dev /mnt/gentoo/sys /mnt/gentoo
117 livecd ~ #
118 livecd ~ #

MacMini.config application/octet-stream