From: kahl@××××××××××××.ca
To: cristiandeives@×××××.com
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] install ISO not bootable
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 00:41:43
1 Cristian,
2 >
3 > any other suggestion of how to boot will be appreciated, when the CD doesn't
4 > boot itself. there's a Red Hat already installed on the machine, if it
5 > helps. and I think the floppy drive isn't working, so I can't use it (it
6 > shows input/output errors when I try to access some disks). so my options
7 > are: use yaboot to boot the CD, do a network install (never done it) or use
8 > the existing Linux. any idea?
9
10 Using the existing linux should definitely be an option --- you just use that
11 instead of the bood CD (I have done this once on AMD64 from ubuntu).
12
13 I.e., you login as root, make sure the network is working
14 and you have sufficient free partitions for your install
15 except that you must not use the partition of the existing linux,
16 and then you just go along the handbook from after partitioning:
17 unpack stages, chroot, continue install (and make sure you know
18 what you are doing at each step, in case you may have to adapt).
19
20 If possible, keep a terminal or console open in the original system
21 (outside the chroot) (and never confuse the two!), as sometimes
22 it might come in handy.
23
24 Find out what the bootloader installation is that boots RedHat ---
25 you can possibly hijack it and insert Gentoo either as another alternative
26 (preferable) or instead of RedHat.
27 Since you cannot boot from CD, the bootloader step is going to be the most
28 critical step of the whole install.
31 Good luck!
35 Wolfram