From: Michelle Darcy <silverpower@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] ibook PCMCIA
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 01:31:00
1 Alden Huang wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > I was just curious if anyone had experience using their ibook (dual-usb
5 > model) with a pcmcia wifi card that is not a lucent orinoco/airport. I
6 > have a card which fits neatly (without having to do anything ridiculous
7 > with a dremel =), but I just can't seem to get it to even detect.
8 >
9 > I really have no experience with anything PCMCIA on linux, and I cant
10 > even get the computer to show that something is there and plugged
11 > in....although I'm sure its a card supported; it's just a re-badged prism2.
12 >
13 > Although the LEDS on the card light up when I plug it in, cardctl
14 > returns no socket() or something like that...nothing shows up under the
15 > boot cd loading with the dopcmcia option either.
16 >
17 > Am I missing something just obvious and stupid? any help would be
18 > appreciated.
21 > Best,
22 > alden
23
24 Airport (carried in the Pismo, iBook G3 and TiBook) is basically a
25 cut-down PC Card slot. There's just enough logic to get Airport and
26 similar PC Cards running. Prism2 isn't an Orinoco, so of course the
27 system won't know what to do with it. Trying to use a PC Card in this
28 slot might have worked on the Pismo or TiBook, but since the iBooks
29 don't possess a full-fledged PC Card controller, you're completely screwed.
30
31 PowerPC Airport Extreme is a similar setup, only it's MiniPCI and uses
32 Broadcom chipsets. In both cases, it's a cost reduction measure.
33
34 Sorry to disappoint you.
35 --michi
38 gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o mailing list