From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] "Can't contact kdeinit" error
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 15:05:17
1 Hi! I'm not a Linux newbie but am completely new to Gentoo.
2 Installed (from the official CD's) 1.4 for PPC G4 on an iMac 800Mhz 17"
3 LCD with an NVidia GeForce4 video card. Getting the system up is going
4 pretty well, but I am not able to open a desktop in KDE.
5
6 I did
7 emerge xfree
8 and at the end I got many lines repeating:
9 bash: line 39: 5:: command not found
10 When booting & when issuing the command startx I am seeing that line and
11 variants like:
12 /sbin/rc line 39: 5:: command not found
13 /etc/X11/chooser.sh line 39: 5:: command not found
14 Error: Can't contact kdeinit
15
16 I think XFree86 config is basically okay, since I did get to the point
17 where I could open an Xterm window. Since I emerged kde and set
18 DISPLAYMANAGER to kdm and XSESSION to "kde-3.1.2", when I try to start
19 kde, I again get an X window, but it just has a box advising me "Can't
20 open kdeinit".
21
22 I'm also getting this error message:
23 (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Unknown error 999
24
25 I have searched this site; the page on rc scripts; the gentoo.org
26 tutorials on X; and the XFree86 site--but haven't found any reference to
27 the error messages I'm getting. It looks to me as if there is a critical
28 script necessary to starting the Xserver which is lacking a line. I have
29 done cat /etc/X11/chooser.sh and cat'd other referenced files
30 without figuring out what is the problem or how to correct it.
31
32 Is my guess correct, that a critical init script is missing a line? If
33 so, is this a known bug, and is there a patch to fix it? Is there some
34 way I can fix the file myself?
35
36 Please note:
37 *I have this boot kernel parameter set: append="video=ofonly"
38 *I don't do any games or complex graphics--all I need is a basic video
39 setup.
40 *I am not able to give my entire /etc/X11/XFree86-4 config, but--based
41 on what I've read--I assume the following entries may be significant:
42 Section Modules
43 Load "fbdevhw"
44 #Load "dri"
45 Section Monitor
46 Identifier "Monitor 0"
47 UseModes "Modes 0"
48 HorizSync 30-130
49 VertRefresh 50-160 [These 2 values work in my YDL installation]
50 Section Device
51 Driver "nv"
52 Option "FlatPanel"
53 Driver "fbdev"
54 Section Screen
55 Identifier "Screen 0"
56 Monitor "Monitor 0"
57 Subsect Display: Depths for 1,4,8,15,16,24 are all set to Mode 1440x900
58 [settings that work in YDL]
59 Section DRI
62 Any insights and suggestions will be much appreciated. --Harvey
67 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list