From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Gentoo ppc - still supported?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:04:54
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Terin Stock <terinstock@×××××××××.net> wrote:
> If it's just going to be sitting in a closet collecting Apple-dust, then I'd > say yes, it's certainly worth the extra effort. > :P > -- > #Terin Stock >
Worse - it would likely just go in the trash. You can buy these things on Ebay sometimes as low as $50 so I was just thinking it didn't make a lot of sense to spend time and money on it, but that's not a good attitude so maybe I should give it a try. I'll ask some questions in this thread. If I need to create another then I'll do that. BACKGROUND: I'm primarily an x86 Gentoo user since 1999. I'm a hardware guy and not an IT guy and don't have _any_ sys admin background other than managing my own Gentoo boxes. I'm familiar with the distro from the sense of keeping my machines running after using Gentoo for a decade. I know NOTHING about Apple machines. I do audio recording and bought the Mac to play with Apple OS X apps but grew tired of OS X pretty quickly and started using this machine as a MythTV backend server a few years ago. STATUS: The machine starts booting, the kernel comes up and runs through and it starts initializing all the services and what not. (Where it says either [OK] or [!!]. ) It gets to 'Checking root filesystem ... ' and then fails with a 'superblock could not be read' message. I tried the suggest e2fsck -b 8193 command but that didn't work. It's never worked for me. Since I was going to do a complete machine rebuild anyway - I haven't touched it in quite awhile as I didn't want to update Myth - I thought I'd try using a new CD. (the reason I started this thread.) When booting from either 2008 or 2009 CD I get the boot screen. If I hit enter I get a message about ramdisk loading and then Invalid memory address at SRR0:0197a930 SRR1:00083030 but is also says Apple PowerMac 1-,2.4.9.4f0 BootROM built on 7/6/05 Welcome to Open Firmware To continue booting type mac-boot ok

If I try mac-boot it just hangs at: "Loading second stage bootstrap..." Now this page http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml doesn't even mention the Mac Mini so I'm guessing it's part of the New World class of machines. The instructions suggest: boot: apple video=ofonly but I get a message cd:2,apple: Unknown or corrupt filesystem So, am I doing something wrong trying to boot from the CD or is the machine somehow not working correctly? Thanks, Mark