From: Carl Hudkins <carl@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] $PATH?
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:56:26
On Wed August 10 2005 05:16, Mike S wrote:

> ok I am stumped as to where the $PATH is set. I know in OSX I just
The path for everyone is set in /etc/profile. Your shell should reference this when you start a new instance of it (i.e. log in, open a new xterm or Konsole or whatever). (It's *actually* built from stuff in /etc/env.d so you shouldn't modify /etc/profile directly...)
> I could make a bunch of symlinks of the java-bin/bin stuff to > /usr/local/bin I suppose, but that seems like a lot more work than > necessary. Why that wasn't done in the emerge process I have no idea. > Checking my PATH it has changed quit a bit as I install new stuff so I > know some things are changing this.
Try doing "source /etc/profile" in a shell, and that shell should pick up the new path. Restarting X or rebooting should make the change global. Most packages I've installed (I won't say "all" because I could be forgetting something) modify /etc/profile if they need to change the system PATH. If Limewire did not, you can add to your ~/.bashrc something like: export PATH=${PATH}:/opt/ibm-jre-bin-1.4.2/bin That definitely should be picked up every time you start a new terminal, because it's in your local (user's) environment. -- // Carl Hudkins :: Jabber yther@××××××××.info :: PGP 50238D9E // // ==] What would Jeeves do? [== // // (X-Spam-To: collapsar@×××××.net) -- gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list