From: Carl Hudkins <carl@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] $PATH?
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:56:26
1 On Wed August 10 2005 05:16, Mike S wrote:
2
3 > ok I am stumped as to where the $PATH is set. I know in OSX I just
4
5 The path for everyone is set in /etc/profile. Your shell should reference
6 this when you start a new instance of it (i.e. log in, open a new xterm or
7 Konsole or whatever). (It's *actually* built from stuff in /etc/env.d so you
8 shouldn't modify /etc/profile directly...)
9
10 > I could make a bunch of symlinks of the java-bin/bin stuff to
11 > /usr/local/bin I suppose, but that seems like a lot more work than
12 > necessary. Why that wasn't done in the emerge process I have no idea.
13 > Checking my PATH it has changed quit a bit as I install new stuff so I
14 > know some things are changing this.
15
16 Try doing "source /etc/profile" in a shell, and that shell should pick up the
17 new path. Restarting X or rebooting should make the change global.
18
19 Most packages I've installed (I won't say "all" because I could be forgetting
20 something) modify /etc/profile if they need to change the system PATH. If
21 Limewire did not, you can add to your ~/.bashrc something like:
22
23 export PATH=${PATH}:/opt/ibm-jre-bin-1.4.2/bin
24
25 That definitely should be picked up every time you start a new terminal,
26 because it's in your local (user's) environment.
29 // Carl Hudkins :: Jabber yther@××××××××.info :: PGP 50238D9E
30 //
31 // ==] What would Jeeves do? [==
32 //