From: Carl Hudkins <carl@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] X configuration - was [gentoo-ppc-user] No local video on PowerMac 8600 - Help?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 00:58:10
1 On Monday 08 September 2003 10:20, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2
3 > > Either video=0 or video=fb works, which are the only things I've
4 > > tried so far. Eventually I'll try without that argument, just for
5 > > variety, but for now that setting (fb) is saved. The utility is
6 > > BootX, which is necessary for "old world" Macs. [...]
7
8 > Here's what you do. In your kernel config, enable ControlFB or whatever
9 > its called under framebuffers. On the kernel command line in BootX,
10 > specify 'video=controlfb:vmode:6,cmode:8'. You should get a boot
11 > console with this and X should work with the 'fbdev' driver.
12
13 With my latest kernel build, ControlFB is enabled, and I have a working
14 text console upon boot. The options you suggest do not appear to change
15 that. X's behavior is also the same, as far as I can tell. I've got a
16 pretty plain XF86Config, which I've attached if you'd like to look at it;
17 the only changes I've made to it beyond what xf86cfg came up with are the
18 Device options for the display, which I took from fbset, and changing the
19 mouse from /dev/mouse (which didn't work) to /dev/input/mouse1, which is
20 where the Kensington Orbit actually lives. I'm starting to realize why
21 Xeasyconf did not put any card or screen info in there... since it didn't
22 find any cards or screens! I guess that's to be expected since the
23 framebuffer is sort of an imaginary device. ;)
24
25 Also attached is a log from a typical X "session", in which the screen
26 shuts off until I Ctrl+Option+Delete to kill it.
29 // Carl Hudkins :: Jabber yther@××××××××.info :: PGP 50238D9E
30 //
31 // "German beer is chemical-free / Germany's all right with me!"
32 // --"Why Aye Man", Mark Knopfler

XFree86.0.log text/x-log
XF86Config application/octet-stream