From: Janne Karjanlahti <jkarjanl@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] HFS+ Partition Map Issues
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:14:50
1 Hi!
2
3 Take a look at:
4 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_3.0/dual-drive-
5 fix.shtml
6
7 There is a well known bug on YellodogLinux installer. However there is
8 not any data loss, and there are easy way to fix it. It does NOT
9 overwrite anything. It changes partition type from Apple_partition_map
10 to boot partition, so OS X can't boot. Read rest about their web site.
11
12 -jkarjanl
13
14 Chris Pavlacka kirjoittaa lauantaina, 4. lokakuuta 2003, kello 06:28:
15
16 > This isn't particularly a Gentoo issue, but Gentoo users seem to have
17 > much
18 > more of a clue than Joe Sixpack.
19 >
20 > On my main hard drive, I have one partition with OS X, one with Gentoo
21 > (Yaboot isn't set up correctly, but that's another email), and one with
22 > Yellowdog. I have two additional hard drives. One contains all my
23 > media
24 > files, the other is an old (c.1995) hard drive of mine.
25 >
26 > Before I installed Yellowdog, I properly set up my partitions on my
27 > main
28 > hard drive. Yellowdog installed sans problem and boots sans problem.
29 >
30 > The Yellowdog installation process, though, overwrote the partition
31 > maps of
32 > my secondary and tertiary hard drive with boot partitions. (The boot
33 > partitions are not 800kB, as I thought Linux boot partitions were.
34 > Instead,
35 > they are the same size as the Apple Partition Maps.) OS X no longer
36 > recognizes either drive. Since my old hard drive had nothing of
37 > interest on
38 > it, I played around with both mac-fdisk and parted in an attempt to
39 > restore
40 > the missing partition map, but I had no success. If I boot into a
41 > Gentoo
42 > LiveCD environment, I can access the corrupted drives without a
43 > problem.
44 >
45 > The only method to retrieve the files that I can think of is to set up
46 > an
47 > FTP/Samba/rsync server in a Linux environment and transfer them to a
48 > second
49 > hard drive. I don't have another 120GB hard drive laying around,
50 > though.
51 > I'm not well versed in hard drive tools.
52 >
53 > If anyone knows of a simpler way to restore the partition map to its
54 > previous state, please let me know.
55 >
56 > chris
59 > --
60 > gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list