From: Eric Olinger <EvvL@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] 2004.0 on pb 3400c
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:15:22
1 On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:59:26 -0500
2 Patrick Tisdale <ptisdale@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > can someone explain to me or point me to a howto that deals w/booting
5 > to the 2004.0 universal cd using bootx. i have a pb3400c w/yellowdog
6 > on it, and i want to install gentoo instead. all the info i've seen
7 > says to copy vmlinux and livecd.img from the cd into the system
8 > folder...i don't have a vmlinux on the cd. i also don't have an
9 > livecd.img on the cd. i do have a livecd.gcloop. i assume the info
10 > i've read is for older versions of gentoo, and something has changed
11 > w/2004.0. btw, this is my first gentoo install.
12 You need to copy the kernel to use (for the 2004.0 cd use the G4 kernel)
13 and the initrd.img.gz to the /System Folder/Linux Kernels/ then install
14 BootX and run the BootX App or reboot. You need to Select the initrd
15 under the ramdisk image in the options section and make sure the ramdisk
16 size is over 32000. IIRC, for the arguments set (but this is off the
17 top of my head):
18 rw init=/linuxrc looptype=gcloop cdroot
19
20 Thats the general steps for booting the livecd with BootX. I'm testing
21 some instructions for booting the livecd on OldWorld Macs with BootX to
22 be add to the handbook sometime. I should be posting them to Bug #46534
23 on bugs.g.o sometime today, hopefully.
26 Eric Olinger
27
28 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF90FBBC1
29 Key fingerprint: B678 9E22 1161 51CF 6664 7591 6767 5BDB F90F BBC1
30
31 Give a man a password, he'll log in for a day. Teach him to code, and he
32 will hack his way in...