From: Ben Sayer <bsayer@×××××××.net>
To: gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-user] BootX problem
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:59:23
>While the EXT2-fs errors concern me, I long since learned to start with >the first error message, so the "crc error" wedged in the middle has my >concern now. I am able to uncompress the initrd.img file on my Intel >gentoo linux box using gunzip. I have the ramdisk size textbox in BootX >set to 34000. I have been able to install SuSE linux on this box, using
BootX. I picked up a bit of the answer from a SuSE readme file. It specifies that if one gets a crc error during the boot, one should restart MacOS without extensions (hold down the shift key) and then repeat the BootX procedure. This does indeed work for me in that I get to a very different part of the installation process (keymap selection). Unfortunately there are quite a lot of what I assume are errors that fill the screen (the first of which scroll off). They are a series of messages where the directory and filename changes: busybox: /bin/rm: Read-only file system busybox: /bin/rmdir: Read-only file system [etc.] After pressing enter in response to the keymap menu I get: * Press enter to begin PCI autodetection... [I press enter] * Searching for PCI devices... /etc/init.d/pnp: cut: command not found * PCI autodetection has completed. Press enter to view what was found. [I press enter again] /etc/init.d/pnp: clear: command not found * Modules loaded: Module Size Used by Not tainted * Press enter to continue [I press enter yet again, well aware that things are not right] /etc/init.d/rcS: clear: command not found /etc/init.d/rcS: cat: command not found Pleas press enter to activate this console. [which I do and I am presented with the command line where few commands work, one that does is mount:] rootfs on / type rootfs (rw) /dev/root on / type ext2 (ro) devfs on /dev type devfs (rw) none on /proc type proc (rw) I'm guessing here, but it seems that the '/' should be mounted rw at this point in the install, no? --Ben