From: Michael George <george@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] install gentoo on hdb
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 23:51:42
1 I just finished an install of gentoo on the second hard drive on my 800MHz
2 Power Mac.
3
4 When I ran yabootconfig, it ran without complaints.
5
6 However, when I boot to the Open Firmware graphical screen and select the
7 Gentoo disk for booting, I get a kernel panic because it says it cannot mount
8 the root filesystem, which is /dev/hdb5.
9
10 The device entry in yaboot.conf is "device=ultra1:" which is not what I
11 expected. The docs I've found say that "hd:" would be the entry for hda, but
12 I found nothing that indicates how to boot to the second hard drive...
13
14 I can still boot my liveCD and I may be able to fix the yaboot.conf on that
15 harddrive ("yabootconfig --chroot /mnt/gentoo" worked before, but I don't
16 think ybin has a chroot command. Perhaps there is just a "-f" command for me
17 to point it to the right config file) from there and boot it. Once I know the
18 fix...
19
20 Anyone install on a second hard drive?
23 -M
24
25 There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
26 Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.
29 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list