From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Gentoo ppc - still supported?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 00:07:24
1 On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o> wrote:
2 >  On 08/27/10 12:19, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Terin Stock <terinstock@×××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >>> If it's just going to be sitting in a closet collecting Apple-dust, then I'd
5 >>> say yes, it's certainly worth the extra effort.
6 <SNIP>
9 > I think the kernel might have gotten renamed, but missed in the
10 > documentation. Please try using ppc32 instead of apple. I suspect it's
11 > trying to boot a 64 bit kernel instead of the 32 bit one.
12 >
13 > -Joe
14
15 Thanks Joe. That worked fine with the most recent 2009 install CD. It
16 would be good if someone reading could add the Mac Mini to one of the
17 lists of supported machines and update the docs to explain this a bit
18 more.
19
20 I can now see the old partition and fsck ran cleanly. (I think...)
21
22 livecd ~ # mac-fdisk /dev/hda
23
24 /dev/hda
25 Command (? for help): Command (? for help): p
26 /dev/hda
27 # type name length base
28 ( size ) system
29 /dev/hda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
30 ( 31.5k) Partition map
31 /dev/hda2 Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap 1600 @ 64
32 (800.0k) NewWorld bootblock
33 /dev/hda3 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 2097152 @ 1664
34 ( 1.0G) Linux swap
35 /dev/hda4 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root 154202672 @
36 2098816 ( 73.5G) Linux native
37
38 Block size=512, Number of Blocks=156301488
39 DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
40
41 Command (? for help): q
42 livecd ~ # fsck -t ext3 /dev/hda4
43 fsck 1.40.4 (31-Dec-2007)
44 e2fsck 1.40.4 (31-Dec-2007)
45 /dev/hda4: clean, 352751/9650176 files, 16137329/19275334 blocks
46 livecd ~ #
47
48 Now, when I try rebooting with the current hard drive installation I get to
49
50 * Checking root filesystem...
51 fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda4
52 /dev/hda4:
53 The superblock could not be read or does not describe........
54
55 Where does this suggest the problem might be? The partition is 'good'
56 when I boot from the CD but bad when I boot from the current kernel?
57 Strange to me.
58
59 Anyway, if it's hard to fix no big deal. At least if I can read it
60 using the CD then I can copy anything I need off and just do a new
61 install, assuming there isn't anything really had happening with the
62 hard drive.
63
64 Thanks,
65 Mark