From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] New install fails to boot.
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 20:24:35
1 Hi again.
2
3 Managed to muddle through the install (mostly) OK, but my kernel is not
4 booting. First of all, when building the kernel the guide says to use "make
5 vmlinux && make modules_install" so I faithfully followed the instructions.
6 This built me a kernel with no modules for some reason. So I built a new one
7 in the fashion I am accustomed to: I did "make && make modules_install". This
8 time my modules were made, and I copied vmlinux to /boot.
9
10 Then, when I tried using yabootconfig as in the manual it failed on me, saying
11 something like "failed to get required information. Did you use
12 yabootconfig --chroot" or somesuch. So I created a yaboot.conf manually,
13 using the guide as a model. I rebooted, and yaboot seemed to be working, it
14 gave me the menu and everything but Linux would not boot (more on this
15 later)..
16
17 So I booted the livecd again, and this time I
18 ran "yabootconfig --chroot=/mnt/gentoo" and this time it worked, but didn't
19 create a menu entry for OS X or to boot from the CD. So I mix and matched and
20 currently have this:
21
22 ###########
23 boot=/dev/sda2
24
25 ofboot=hd:2
26
27 device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@7/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@0/disk@0:
28 timeout=30
29 install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
30 magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
31
32 image=/boot/vmlinux
33 label=Linux
34 root=/dev/sda4
35 partition=4
36 read-only
37
38 macosx=ultra1:3
39 enablecdboot
40 enableofboot
41 ########
42
43 Info:
44 sda1 partition map
45 sda2 apple bootstrap
46 sda3 linux swap
47 sda4 linux '/'
48
49 sdb1 partition map
50 sdb2 apple bootstrap
51 sdb3 OS X
52
53 Again I rebooted, and all seems fine. It boots from a CD, it boots OS X just
54 fine, but the one constant throughout all my attempts is that when trying to
55 boot Linux, it prints this cryptic message and hangs:
56
57 found display :/pci@0,f0000000/ATY,SimoneParent@10/ATX, Simone_B@1, opening...
58
59 Since yaboot seems to be working fine otherwise, I am thinking this may be a
60 kernel issue, but truly I have no idea. Have I forgotten something important?
61 I can post the kernel config if you want to see it.
62
63 Does anyone recognize what may have happened here?
64
65 Thanks,
66 -d
67 --
68 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
69 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
70 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
71 --
72 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list