From: Richard Jones <gentoo-ppc-user@×××××.com>
To: Sean Hafeez <sahafeez@×××××××.org>
Cc: Gentoo PPC <gentooppc-user@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-user] Xserve
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:06:54
1 On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 04:34:07PM -0700, Sean Hafeez wrote:
2 > ah, not to be an ass but why would you want to?
3 >
4 > i mean buy an intel box from dell or someone else to run gentoo on. the
5 > xserve's are made to be run with os x server. there is a hugh payback in
6 > the combo. the management tools are some of the best ever. buying an
7 > xserve to run linux on seems kind of dumb.
8
9 Our criteria were cost and reliability. We discounted Dell and
10 compaq because (in my experience) of reliability and TCO (with
11 regard to hw upgrades) respectively.
12
13 Of the other major players[1], all offered reasonably similar 1-2k
14 entry level machines (1Ghz CPU or equivalent, 1Gb SDRAM), but to
15 "double" the specs to 2 x 1Ghz, 1.5Gb DDR RAM, costs roughly four
16 times as much. The Xserve offers IMHO incredible performance at a
17 reasonable price in a 1U box.
18
19 Though we are also looking at running OS X alongside, Linux would be
20 preferable as we've been developing exclusively on RedHat and more
21 recently Gentoo, and no-one here has experience with OS X or FBSD.
22
23 Cheers,
24
25 Richard
26
27 [1] The decision to exclude minor players and BYO was not made by
28 me ;->
31 Richard Jones
32 http://www.jonze.com
33 richard at jonze dot com