From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Mac Mini PPC - Is this the right list?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:19:38
1 On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 3:59 PM, matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > apple kernel ? that would be darwin. i think you mean linux kernel ?
4
5 Well, yes, it's a Linux kernel but named 'apple' I think. The
6 instructions you see when you boot from the Gentoo 2007.0 universal
7 install CD say to execute essentially one of these two commands:
8
9 boot: apple
10
11 or
12
13 boot: apple video=ofonly
14
15 when I boot without ofonly I get messed up text.
16
17 I've got OpenFirmware frame buffer, nvidia and ATI compiled in. EDID
18 also. The machine is acting like it's just not choosing them, assuming
19 the problem I'm seeing is the same one I see booting the kernel on the
20 install CD. How does one make the kernel choose or not choose the FB
21 at boot time? I'm familiar with doing this stuff in grub but this is
22 my first experience with yaboot.
23
24 My kernel is 2.6.24-gentoo-r3. It boots fine and the machine is
25 working great at least from an ssh session where I'm not looking at
26 this frame buffer stuff. that's fine for the next day or two as I let
27 it build stuff I might want to run on it.
28
29 Note that if it matters I had to use the 2007.0 CD since the current
30 ISO image for the 2008.0 beta is too large to fit on a 700MB CD-R, at
31 least according to K3b. I don't have any larger CD-Rs available right
32 now.
33
34 The processor in this machine is a 7447A, clock-1.5GHz. lspci says
35 it's a RV280 [Radeon 9200] graphics chip.
36
37 Thanks,
38 Mark
42 > i dont append any kernel options. you want open firmware framebuffer and
43 > radeonfb or nvidiafb compiled in the kernel. not sure if enabling the edid
44 > or ddc options will help. i dont have a mac mini, just 2 ibook g4's, not
45 > sure how different they are.
46 >
47 > matt
48 >
49 > there is also #gentoo-powerpc on freenode too :)
53 > > My question at this time is how to append kernel boot options in
54 > > /etc/yaboot.conf. When I boot the apple kernel from the Gentoo CD then
55 > > when it switches to (I guess) the framebuffer where I see Tux the text
56 > > on my monitor is jerky and not too readable. However if I use the
57 > > suggested version
58 > >
59 > > apple video=ofonly
60 > >
61 > > then the text is fine. Scanning around on the web I found this example
62 > > of how to do the same thing in yaboot.conf:
63 > >
64 > > image=/boot/kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r3
65 > > label=2.4.26-gentoo-r3
66 > > root=/dev/hda4
67 > > append="video=ofonly"
68 > > read-only
69 > >
70 > > I have added this to my /etc/yaboot.conf file but the video is still
71 > > jumping around and isn't too readable.
72 > >
73 > > None the less the machine is completely up and running and doing an
74 > > emerge -DuN system so this machine, which has sat on the shelf
75 > > untouched for over a year, is not usable hardware thanks to Gentoo.
76 > >
77 > > Cheers,
78 > > Mark
79 > > --