From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] hda/hdc
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 02:55:12
1 On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 18:42 -0500, Randy Barlow wrote:
2 > Thanks to Michael and Nathan for your help so far. I've
3 > tried /dev/hda,c and e as being root upon rebooting, and every time I
4 > get a kernel panic. I'm not totally sure why, but I've been looking
5 > into the config to make sure I have things enabled properly (already
6 > found that I hadn't put support for my IDE interface, but that wasn't
7 > the only problem) Any other gotchas? I'm completely new to the Mac
8 > hardware, so this is kind of bewildering to me!
9
10 Writing in to give more details - I do have the
11 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC_ATA100FIRST set in the kernel, and hda is still
12 showing up as hda. I also do not see any lines in the boot reporting
13 that the hard drive has been detected (though they scroll by pretty
14 quickly and it's hard to tell - is there a way to see what the dmesg was
15 for a kernel that didn't finish booting due to a kernel panic?) The
16 panic is the famous "Cannot open root device "hda8" or
17 unknown-block(0,0)". Well, the cdrom doesn't have an hda8 of course, so
18 this isn't surprising. What I'm attempting to discover is what I am
19 missing in the kernel config to get my hard drive correctly supported.
20 Further suggestions?
21
22 Randy Barlow
23 http://www.electronsweatshop.com
24 If there was any justice, my face would be on a bunch of crappy
25 merchandise! -- Homer Simpson Flaming Moe's
28 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list