From: Alden Huang <alden.huang@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] new world is a type of hardware or software?
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 06:10:07
1 Hardware.
2
3 So I believe that if you are using an iBook G3, you should always
4 configure as a "New World." I am assuming its not a clamshell looking
5 thing. Installing OS9 wouldn't change this.
6
7 You might want to set up the partitions using mac-fdisk, as I think the
8 OSX disk utility costs you some extra blocks. Just put the separate
9 partitions for OS9 and OSX anywhere after the tiny bootstrap partition,
10 and configure yaboot accordingly.
11
12 At least I think this is correct, someone please correct me if I am
13 wrong. Best of luck!
14
15 Zhang Weiwu wrote:
16 > Before I thought Mac OS X is "new world", being a software thing. Mac OS
17 > 9 is "old world".
18 >
19 > Now I am a bit confused. If I wish to run a 3-OS system with Mac OS 9 +
20 > Mac OS X + Gentoo Linux, should I partition my harddisk in old world?
21 >
22 > I suspect I should do the following (currently I am already using Gentoo
23 > Linux on my iBook/G3)
24 >
25 > 1. backup my Linux
26 > 2. Install Mac OS 9
27 > 3. Install Mac OS X. It should help me to configure it as dual boot.
28 > while leave some empty space;
29 > 4. restore the Linux backup and run yaboot.
30 >
31 > Is this correct?
32 >
33 > Best regards