From: Ben Sayer <bsayer@×××××××.net>
To: gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-user] BootX problem
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:06:21
1 >1) do you have the kernel and the ramdisk in your Mac system folder?
2 >2) did you _rename_ the ramdisk according to the instructions in the
3 >bootx readme?
4
5 I also am having trouble installing using BootX. I've been unable to
6 install on my PowerBook G3 Series (Wallstreet). I have tried various
7 locations for the files, including those specified above (from the BootX
8 docs). I get the following:
9
10 [various and sundry start-up messages snipped]
11 RAMDISK: Compressed image found at found a block 0
12 ADB keyboard at 2, handler 1
13 Detected ADB keyboard, type ANSI.
14 input1: ADB HID on ID 2:2.c3
15 input2: ADB HID on ID 7:7.1f
16 ADB mouse at 3, handler set to 4 (trackpad)
17 input3: ADB HID on ID 3:3.01
18 adb: finished probe task...
19 crc errorFreeing initrd memory: 4889k freed
20 VFS: Mounted root(ext2 filesystem) readonly.
21 Freeing unused kernel memory: 300k init 8k chrp 8k prep
22 EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ext2 check page: bad entry in
23 directory #7418: unaligned directory entry - offset=0, inode=16780288,
24 rec_len=11778, name_len=0
25 EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ext2 check page: bad entry in
26 directory #7417: unaligned directory entry - offset=0, inode=16780288,
27 rec_len=11778, name_len=0
28 EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ext2 check page: bad entry in
29 directory #7403: unaligned directory entry - offset=0, inode=16780288,
30 rec_len=11778, name_len=0
31 init-2.05a#
34 While the EXT2-fs errors concern me, I long since learned to start with
35 the first error message, so the "crc error" wedged in the middle has my
36 concern now. I am able to uncompress the initrd.img file on my Intel
37 gentoo linux box using gunzip. I have the ramdisk size textbox in BootX
38 set to 34000. I have been able to install SuSE linux on this box, using BootX.
39
40 I would appreciate any ideas on what to try next.
41
42 --Ben