From: Ben Sayer <bsayer@×××××××.net>
To: gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-user] BootX problem
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:06:21
>1) do you have the kernel and the ramdisk in your Mac system folder? >2) did you _rename_ the ramdisk according to the instructions in the >bootx readme?
I also am having trouble installing using BootX. I've been unable to install on my PowerBook G3 Series (Wallstreet). I have tried various locations for the files, including those specified above (from the BootX docs). I get the following: [various and sundry start-up messages snipped] RAMDISK: Compressed image found at found a block 0 ADB keyboard at 2, handler 1 Detected ADB keyboard, type ANSI. input1: ADB HID on ID 2:2.c3 input2: ADB HID on ID 7:7.1f ADB mouse at 3, handler set to 4 (trackpad) input3: ADB HID on ID 3:3.01 adb: finished probe task... crc errorFreeing initrd memory: 4889k freed VFS: Mounted root(ext2 filesystem) readonly. Freeing unused kernel memory: 300k init 8k chrp 8k prep EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ext2 check page: bad entry in directory #7418: unaligned directory entry - offset=0, inode=16780288, rec_len=11778, name_len=0 EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ext2 check page: bad entry in directory #7417: unaligned directory entry - offset=0, inode=16780288, rec_len=11778, name_len=0 EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ext2 check page: bad entry in directory #7403: unaligned directory entry - offset=0, inode=16780288, rec_len=11778, name_len=0 init-2.05a# While the EXT2-fs errors concern me, I long since learned to start with the first error message, so the "crc error" wedged in the middle has my concern now. I am able to uncompress the initrd.img file on my Intel gentoo linux box using gunzip. I have the ramdisk size textbox in BootX set to 34000. I have been able to install SuSE linux on this box, using BootX. I would appreciate any ideas on what to try next. --Ben