From: Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] RE: Installing Gentoo on a Powermac G5
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 02:15:26
Darren Kirby wrote:
> Note: Sorry if this shows up twice, but both my responses (to David > and Joseph) seem to have been lost in a black hole...(Resending from > gmail). > > quoth the Joseph Jezak: > >> > 1. OS X is on the first sata drive, Gentoo will be on the second. Is it >> > still necessary to create the 'apple_bootstrap' partition if Gentoo >> will >> > be on its own complete disk? >> >> Yes. Open Firmware looks for a HFS blessed partition to boot from, >> which is all the apple_bootstrap partition actually is. It contains >> a copy of yaboot as well. When ybin runs, it will tell OpenFirmware >> to boot from this device (well, that what the nvram write is for. >> If your kernel doesn't have nvram support, you'll have to set this >> manually). Note that it doesn't really matter which disk this >> partition is on, but it's preferred to have it before the OSX >> partition so that if OSX resets the nvram, it will be the first >> blessed HFS partition found and still boot as normal. > > Ok. I suppose I should have explained better. OS X is already installed, > so I > imagine the bootstrap partition is already on the OS X disk right? Sorry to > be thick, but you say 'it doesn't matter which disk' it is on, so as > long as > it is on one of them that's OK? > > I should say here, my SATA drive just arrived an hour ago, and I > installed it > and booted OS X, and it seems the drives were reversed, that is, the old > disk > is disk 1, and the new one is disk 0. Does this make a difference... > > I guess I'll just make the partition anyway, as I don't believe it takes a > whole lot of space.
While you could use your OSX partition as a bootstrap partition, it's really not a good idea. The bootstrap is for Linux only. As I said before, it's an HFS formatted partition that holds the yaboot binary that OpenFirmware loads. That's why it's so small. :)
>> > 2. If I follow the PPC64 guide does this give me the 64bit userland? If >> > so, is there enough (hard) unmasked software to use this as a general >> > desktop machine? Is all software in the package database marked stable >> > under PPC64 64bit userland software? Can I mix and match PPC32 and >> PPC64 >> > software? Any and all information on this issue would be most >> helpful, as >> > I don't think I completely understand it (I don't have an x86-64 >> machine >> > so I am mostly ignorant of 64bit issues). >> >> I can't speak too much for ppc64 (I only have ppc32 machines), but >> you have a few options. A pure ppc64 machine won't work with >> everything. For instance, there are issues with Mozilla based >> applications and ppc64, but KDE (and konqueror) should work great. >> You can also run a 32bit UL very easily and for desktop usage this >> is the recommended configuration afaik. I'm not sure about a mixed >> environment. > > Ok, I see on the mirrors there are PPC64 32 bit UL and 64 bit UL > tarballs. To > tell the truth I am planning on using KDE anyway (and I can live without > firefox) , so I think I will give the 64bit a shot. If it doesn't work out > for me I will just do a reinstall. No big whoop. Just playing around for > now > anyway. > > Just to confirm, the packages in the database that are under PPC64 arch are > the 64 bit userland apps right? I have already checked and everything I > want/need is stable for PPC64...
If it's marked ppc64, it'll work on ppc64, the 32 bit UL uses the ppc keyword, just like the PPC32.