From: Calum Selkirk <cselkirk@g.o>
To: gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-user] Re: Kernel Panic on new install
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:25:12
1 * John Gilger [bjgilger@×××××××××.net] [2002-10-28 21:46 -0800]:
2
3 > Additional info from boot messages:
4 > NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0
5 > attempt to access beyond end of device
6 > 03:03: rw=0, want=33, limit=28
7 > isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=03:03, iso_blknum=16, block=32
8 > XFS: bad magic number
9 > XFS: SB validation failed
10 > Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount rootfs on 03:03
11 > <0> rebooting in 180 seconds...
12 >
13 > from this I gather that something wanted to mount the root filesystem
14 > in the wrong place but maybe I'm wrong.
15 >
16 > It also seems to be trying to Mount the file system as XFS instead of
17 > ext3, if I understand these messages right. An error in /etc/fstab?
18
19 yes .. it seems you failed to edit /etc/fstab when installing.
20
21 > Is this fixable? Or do I reformat the partitions and re-do the
22 > install? Gentoo or Debian? Ext3 or the old standby ext2?
23
24 yes it's fixable .. boot from the CD, mount your root partition
25 and edit the <root_partition>/etc/fstab
26
27 best
28
29 cal