From: "Jonny D. Narya" <xanaphia@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] (Possible) new Gentoo user looking for some assistance
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 19:36:43
1 Hello,
2 I am new to the list and so if i ask any questions that have been answered
3 a billion times before i do apologize.
4 I am a long time Debian user (i386/686 arc)mainly for server use. I have
5 decided to switch over to Linux on my TiBook 400Mhz Rev A. My First
6 thought was to go to debian Since that is what i know and love but i have
7 been recommended my friend to go with Gentoo instead saying that i would
8 be much happier with Gentoo, himself a huge Gentoo (i686 arc) user. After
9 reading up allot on it allot of (Debian) people said that for there server
10 it's Debian all the way but they recommend Gentoo for desktop and from
11 what i read it sounds great.I read up on the user mailing list and i also found out that the TiBooks
12 have a few problems with Debian. i read that the current debian build of
13 the Kernel is not fully compatible with hardware causing power management
14 problems, possible sound problems, and also users having difficulties with
15 the abnormal Screen size (optimal 1152x768).I read that you have to go and
16 downloads someone else's sid build of the kernel and recompile it yourself
17 to get everything to work proper.
18 I was wondering if anyone knew of any difficulties i would/will have
20 and getting the dvd player to work. Without those things unfortounatly I'm
21 better off in OS X.
22 Thanks in advance for any/all assistance with this matter, and i look
23 forward to possibly joining the ranks of Gentoo users
24 --
25 `i look inside myself and see my heart is black`
26 `No colors anymore i want them to turn black.`
27
28 FFD[Chesire]m3admrs A C- D H- M P+ R++ T+++ W Z Sf++ RLA/CT/M/AT a21
29 cblm++++$ d++ e+ f++++ h+ iwf+++$ j+ p* sx--
34 This email was sent using the Javatrix's Webmail.
35 http://www.javatrix.net/
40 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list