From: Lloyd D Budd <lloyd@×××××××××××.com>
To: PPC Gentoo Users <gentoo-ppc-user@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] PPC 1.4_rc7 comments on install instruct
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:09:49
1 Hello,
2
3 Gentoo on PPC is tasty!
4
5 I succeeded in getting gentoo installed from GentooPPC_1.4_rc7 LivedCD
6 on my G4 733 using doc/en/gentoo-ppc-install.xml . Next steps will be
7 xwindow / desktop setup and cfg.
8
9 I thought I would pass on some comments now before I forget -- in case
10 the issues are not my machine or PEBCAK.
11
12 Two interesting details about my cfg:
13 + I have installed a 2nd hard drive specifically for Linux
14 + airport is my connection to network/internet
17 Possible issues with the doc / CD:
18
19 yaboot instructions for separate drive is incorrect. 'yabootconfig'
20 fails from chroot env, there is an option for "chroot disk" see 'man'
21 pg. Aside, from live CD in chroot env hdc, hdd not detected (listed by
22 mac-dfisk) -- I discovered this when still trying to get 'yabootconfig'
23 to work in chroot env.
24
25 Format a blank, 2nd hard drive using mac-fdisk. bootstrap partition: b
26 <enter> 0 <enter>
27
28 yabootconfig does not include any 'delay=n' in yaboot.conf . 12 default
29 is great for while setting up.
30
31 eth0 and eth1 reversed on install, likely because I built airport
32 support right into kernel, as opposed to module (ethernet still module).
33
34 May want to include suggestion for saving output from 'dmesg' on boot
35 from livecd -- useful for later figuring kernel cfg, etc when boot from
36 disk.
37
38 'make menuconfig' may want to doc reminder to include the support for
39 file system used, example ext3. More generally, the default menuconfig
40 could be better, particularly after booting from a live CD.
44 Based on feedback if I get around to it sometime in July I will submit
45 patch(s). Of course, some of these can be solved in the software.
48 Thank you for bringing Gentoo to my home desktop,
49 Lloyd
53 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list