From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-pr@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pr] Re: "stop software patents" banner
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 00:19:18
On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 09:32:48PM +0200 or thereabouts, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> This has stirred up quite a lot of noise lately. We are here asked to check > out if it is in Gentoo's best interest to put out a public statement against > software patents and, if so, how we would make this statement (for instance > with a link on the front page).
It has been discussed previously on the mailing lists. I'm too lazy to look up the old thread, but, as with most things Gentoo, nobody agreed on anything and, at the end of the day, nothing was done. My personal opinion: we have a hard enough time developing a high-quality distribution that meets the needs of our users. We don't need to go meddling in politics, too. --kurt