From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-pr@l.g.o, lwesf2004@g.o
Cc: group@×××××××.edu
Subject: [gentoo-pr] LWE-SF booth
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:49:59
1 Greetings!
2
3 This is just a note to bring everyone together on the same page for what we
4 have planned for the LWE-SF booth, and a request for comment/ideas.
5
6 Indiana University will be supplying a trade show display, along with the
7 computer systems that will be used for the booth.
8
9 We put up the display today and put the gentoo poster up (with some more
10 velcro, the poster will look better when we put it up at SF, this was just to
11 see how big it would be on the display). Check it out at the following url:
12
13 http://dev.gentoo.org/~cshields/boothwithoutpodium1024.jpg
14
15 It is 10 feet wide (with the curvature) so it will be a tight fit in our 10
16 foot booth. However, I think it will make a great impression, especially
17 compared to the other .org booths we will be out there with. If for some
18 reason it will not fit, we can shorten it by 2 feet with a few modifications.
19 I'd rather not do that because then we might not be able to use the
20 spotlights or have enough space for additional signage.
21
22 The request I have of all of you is about additional posters. We have 2 feet
23 of space (width) on each side of the big poster, we could put smaller
24 informational posters there. The question is, what do we want to put? One
25 idea is to take quotes from websites and magazines that Gentoo has been
26 featured in, and just put a bunch of random quotes of praise up. For example,
27 "if all you want is a solid Linux system to operate your standard internet
28 enabled services like LAMP, you can't do better than Gentoo Linux." (quoted
29 from http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/8009/index.html). Any other
30 thoughts/ideas for additional posters? I need ideas and content by the end
31 of this week to make it happen.
32
33 Also, we will have a table in front of the background display. This table
34 will have 3 gentoo boxes: the center box will just be a display running a
35 presentation loop (the presentation will highlight features of gentoo and
36 the gentoo projects). The other 2 boxes on each side of the center display
37 will have keyboards & mice to play around with as demos. People in the booth
38 can demonstrate portage, config files, etc. as booth visitors come up with
39 questions and such. If we have a 6 foot table (which seems to be the
40 consensus), we could set the displays up in a U configuration, with the
41 center screen facing outward with the presentation, and the 2 screens with
42 keyboards facing the sides. A couple of feet of room on each side of the
43 table should be enough to walk a visitor up to the screen and show it off,
44 while getting him/her out of the way of the presentation running in the
45 middle. If this doesn't work due to space, we can face all 3 outward, but it
46 could be problematic. the signage on the booth display should clear the
47 table and the computers (if not, the G logo sure will). see the url above,
48 the display is about 7 feet high.
49
50 Any special requests for the demo boxes? We will stage and install them here
51 at IU before shipping them to San Francisco. This is to eliminate the
52 problem that comes whenever people try to build the demos on the floor 24
53 hours before the show starts. I was only at last year's LWE-SF booth so I
54 didn't see how it worked in NY, but it didn't seem to work well that way from
55 my point of view.
56
57 Ben will be working on a work schedule for those who volunteered. Basically,
58 we want to avoid having too many people (>3) at the booth at any given time.
59 No loitering, please. Plus, there will be no place in the booth to dump your
60 swag. take it back to the hotel or carry a backpack.. We only have a 10
61 foot square booth, and that is not much space to work in. Ben will chime in
62 later to work out some kind of schedule.
63
64 Cheers!
65
66 -C
67
68 (I've cc'ed my coworkers here at IU for their information.. some of them are
69 helping out from our end of things)
72 Corey Shields - Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Team
73 http://www.gentoo.org/~cshields
76 gentoo-pr@g.o mailing list