From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-pr@l.g.o, gwn-feedback@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-pr] Article: High-tech social enterprise reaps free software's benefits
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:50:04
1 http://business.newsforge.com/business/06/09/29/1827208.shtml?tid=39&tid=150&tid=132
2
3 High-tech social enterprise reaps free software's benefits
4
5 The CTO uses Gentoo and talks about it, but the whole business couldn't
6 use it because it was too hard to roll out:
7
8 Ball's personal desktop is a Gentoo Linux box. "I've used Gentoo for
9 years, because it was a lot of fun and it taught me a lot about how to
10 administer a machine," he says, noting its unique
11 choose-and-compile-everything philosophy. But he also says that you're
12 not caught out on a limb when you use it -- the people who use and
13 support and develop it are there to help you.
14
15 "The community is really strong and they're responsive at different
16 levels," he says. "Other [free software communities] are responsive
17 maybe at the newbie level or way out at the expert level, whereas Gentoo
18 is there across all levels -- they don't flame you with Eric Raymond's
19 URL and tell you to get lost."
20
21 While Benetech had previously chosen Red Hat and Gentoo for its
22 desktops, today they're all running Ubuntu. Ball cited Ubuntu's ease of
23 setup and installation as the reason for the switch. "If you have to
24 roll out 10 or 15 machines, Gentoo's [inconvenient]. Most of our
25 machines are Kubuntu, but there are a couple of GNOME people in our
26 organization."