From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-pr@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-pr] Re: "stop software patents" banner
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 19:33:04
1 On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 08:22:07PM +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > Could you please discuss this amongst yourselves, and if you agree it is a
3 > good idea, please read the following instructions so that we can join the
4 > demonstration against software patents on gentoo.org:
5 >
6 > http://wiki.noepatents.eu.org/webdemo/
7
8 This has stirred up quite a lot of noise lately. We are here asked to check
9 out if it is in Gentoo's best interest to put out a public statement against
10 software patents and, if so, how we would make this statement (for instance
11 with a link on the front page).
12
13 I personally feel that Gentoo should have discussed this a lot sooner and
14 make a noted decision on the subject (noted so it can be used when the
15 discussion pops up again). The issue on software patents has been on the
16 European politic journal for quite some time now (a few years).
17
18 Putting up a public statement now, less than a day in advance of the
19 item being discussed in the European Parliament, would in my opinion have
20 zero effect. Yet staying silent on the matters doesn't do Gentoo any good
21 either.
22
23 In my opinion, the best course of action would be to draft an article where
24 Gentoo places its concerns on the software patent matters and how it could
25 effect Gentoo. The article would make clear /why/ Gentoo is against (or in
26 favor - not that this will be most likely) of the current Software Patent
27 Directive [1].
28
29 We can then publish this article on the Gentoo web site and, if necessary,
30 put a link on top of the main page to this article.
31
32 I personally do not like to put banners on our web site. For one, people are
33 tired of banners. It would imo be a lot cleaner to have a single link on top
34 of the main page that points to the article. It only takes a few characters
35 and doesn't interfere with the current site layout (which the banners,
36 frankly, do).
37
38 Wkr,
39 Sven Vermeulen
40
41 [1] The article should not talk about "software patents" sensu lato but use
42 an explicit, known public document (the directive as it currently
43 stands) as the base for its content.
46 Documentation project leader - Gentoo Foundation Trustee
47
48 The Gentoo Project <<< http://www.gentoo.org >>>