Author: John Davis, Gentoo Release Operations Manager
For immediate publication:
Gentoo Linux is proud to announce the release of Gentoo Linux 2004.0
for the x86, AMD64, PowerPC, Sun SPARC, and SGI MIPS architectures.
Additionally, the Gentoo Hardened team is making the inaugural release
of a security enhanced Gentoo platform for the x86 architecture.
In addition to many bugfixes and security fixes since the 1.4 release,
Gentoo Linux 2004.0 contains a cutting edge development toolchain and user
environment including, but not limited to, Linux kernel 2.6.3, GCC 3.3.2,
GLIBC 2.3.2, KDE 3.2, GNOME 2.4.1 and xfce4.
Gentoo Linux 2004.0 debuts Catalyst, the new Gentoo release meta-tool. Using
catalyst, developers and users alike can create and customize every aspect of
their Gentoo Linux system; from installation stages, to bootable LiveCDs, to
customized binary packages for the Gentoo Reference Platform. For more
information on Catalyst, please see the Catalyst project page and online
Installation stages, LiveCDs, and Gentoo Reference Platform (GRP) sets can be
found on our mirrors . More information about the Gentoo Hardnened project
can be found on their project page . For more information, please consult
our mailing lists , user forums , and official IRC channels .
1. Catalyst documentation <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst>
2. Gentoo Linux Mirror Index <http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml>
3. Gentoo Hardened project <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened>
4. Gentoo Linux Mailing Lists <http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml>
5. Gentoo Linux user forums <http://forums.gentoo.org>
6. Gentoo Linux official IRC channels <http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/irc.xml>