From: "Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@g.o>
To: gentoo-proctors@l.g.o
Cc: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-proctors] Documents sent to council
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 20:47:30
1 Hello Roy!
2
3 (Usually, I'd rather not get a courtesy copy. This time, though, it was
4 good to get it as I didn't get your reply on the list. :-( )
5
6 On Saturday, June 23, 2007 06:57:55 PM Roy Bamford wrote:
7 > > "E. [Proctors/Devrel] determine recruiting needs and recruit to
8 > > achieve them."
9 > > Members of an institution that is supposed to impose disciplinary
10 > > action on Gentoo devs and others should not be recruited but elected.
11 > Disciplinary action is very much a last resort.
12
13 Yes, of course, but as it's the ultima ratio it should be considered,
14 IMHO.
15
16 > before they get to the point of needing disciplinary action. Much of
17 > the proctors work is done in /query or by personal email.
18
19 Sounds good to me. Like that, it won't get as much (negative)
20 attention. :-)
21
22 > Very little is like my email to the 'bubble' thread on the -dev ml.
23
24 Which was an honourable attempt but bound to trigger the "free
25 speech"/"censorship"/"I must be heard anyway!" nonsense. :)
26
27 > I don't see the difference between recruitment and being elected
28 > unopposed. devrel members are recruited and not elected at the moment,
29
30 Yes, that (recruitment) is wrong, too, IMHO. :-)
31
32 > To hold a meaningful election you have to find more people who want the
33 > job than there are vacancies. If that can be demonstrated I have no
34 > issue with elections.
35
36 Even if there are not enough people to fill the vacancies, there's a
37 difference between being appointed or elected. An election lends at least
38 *some* weight to the position.
39
40 > > Otherwise their authority will be challenged all the time. Elected
41 > > members will have at least a *bit* more autority.
42 > By the nature of the public part of the proctors job, whatever they do
43 > or do not do, they will be attacked by some group.
44
45 Yes, that's pretty much guaranteed. It helps, though, to know you can vote
46 for someone else next time. ;-)
47
48 > > That'll lead to rushed (and therefore potentially wrong) decisions.
49 > Any group making decisions on incomplete information is likely to make
50 > errors.
51
52 So don't act on incomplete information. :-)
53
54 > > IMO, we don't need proctors but if the proctors are kept, they should
55 > > work on a comlaint basis, too.
56 > Thats a nice ambiguous example to work on. Did you mean "too" as in
57 > "like devrel do today" or "too" as in "as well as" [working without a
58 > complaint] ?
59
60 The first. Work on complaints only, like DevRel.
61
62 > Its ambiguities like that in the English language that can lead people
63 > to feel insulted when no insult was intended.
64
65 You're right. :-)
66
67 > > Suppose both parties come from "Czamistan" - they both know "big-
68 > > balled goat lover" is not an insult but a compliment - why should
69 > > proctors react?
70 > Let me cite a recent live example from #gentoo-dev, which I have to
71 > from memory as I don't log that channel. In outline the story unfolded
72 > like this :-
73 > dev1 (a non native English speaker) said something out of character and
74 > when challenged, gave an explanation that dev2 "found difficult to
75 > believe". dev1 took that as being called a liar, which its not,
76 > depending on the readers understanding of the nuances of English, it
77 > means "that's unusual or out of character behavior for you".
78 > I don't know dev1 well enough to determine if the misunderstanding was
79 > genuine.
80
81 That's an excellent example: First of all, it's between two devs; dev1
82 could complain to DevRel. Eventually, dev1 would hopefully be "punished"
83 for filing a trivial complaint.
84
85 As for proctors: Don't bother to even think about such nonsense. If people
86 are so easily offended, they deserve whatever comes their way.
87
88 I still think that almost 20 years after we adopted our policy in FidoNet,
89 it has a very reasonable POV on disputes. Especially the two rules below
90 are something worth "stealing", IMHO:
91
92 -----------------------------
93 9 Resolution of Disputes
94
95 9.1 General
96
97 The FidoNet judicial philosophy can be summed up in two rules:
98
99 1) Thou shalt not excessively annoy others.
100
101 2) Thou shalt not be too easily annoyed.
102
103 In other words, there are no hard and fast rules of conduct, but
104 reasonably polite behavior is expected. Also, in any dispute both sides
105 are examined, and action could be taken against either or both parties.
106 ("Judge not, lest ye be judged!")
107 -----------------------------
108
109 I really sympathise strongly with the second rule and the dev1 one from
110 your example should have taken it to heart.
111
112 > > Without proctors, we can simply ignore non-dev offenders. We may have
113 > > to deal with other devs but there's no obligation to interact with
114 > > certain users.
115 > As you say, we can ... but the evidence suggests that we don't, or at
116 > least a vociferous minority don't.
117
118 It's not so much the users (well, apart from one special, former-dev user)
119 we mostly argue with. Usually, we don't need anyone but other devs.
120
121 > > "and after some conditioning", "re-orientation" and some other terms
122 > > used in either or both documents.
123 > I'm not sure of the context of these quotes,
124
125 proctors:development.txt:
126
127 "Note: Several proctors recently resigned. We are willing to restore
128 them on two conditions: (1) None of them may serve as lead; (2) Each of
129 them must undergo the same reorientation/interview process as the the
130 current proctors."
131
132 "A. Reorient the proctors to their tasks."
133
134 proctors:purpose.txt:
135
136 "The wise developer wishes a visit from neither organization, and after
137 some conditioning, I expect the developer base to become more sensitive
138 to flame situations and to work to avoid them."
139
140 The wording is, IMHO, unfortunate for someone asking others to be "more
141 sensitive". :-)
142
143 > however lets consider the
144 > -dev mailing list since the dust settled on the 'bubble' thread.
145 > Ignoring the multiplicity of views expressed there and on IRC, my
146 > impression is that the signal to noise has improved already
147
148 That's true, indeed. It settled down after the proctors stopped acting
149 publicly there. :)
150
151 Or did "either organisation" (long live British English! ;) ) "visit" some
152 poor soul? ;-)
153
154 > You may suggest that I'm supporting your view that the project is not
155 > required.
156
157 Yes, you are. You just don't know it yet. ;-)
158
159 > I'm not. the project serves to provide focus.
160
161 We probably won't come to an agreement on this but we don't have to
162 anyway. :-) I'll stay within the bounds of the CoC which in itself aren't
163 too bad.
164
165 > (NeddySeagoon) Writing as an individual, not on behalf of the protors
166
167 Bah! So that means I can't complain about the stubborn proctors not seeing
168 the light? ;-)
169
170 If I complain about you, Roy, people will only tell me that stubbornness
171 comes with old age...
172
173 Best regards, Wulf (running and hiding now)