From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: On eclass APIs
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 05:19:28
1 On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 20:35:36 +0100
2 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Is this necessary for just one function, or is this only beneficial
5 > after a huge revamp of some eclass? Is it acceptable to take the
6 > breakage outside Gentoo, given the extra work imposed by creating
7 > revisions and keeping track?
8
9 If there has been some major instance of eclass API breakage wrecking the tree
10 lately then I missed it (lately being defined as "since 2007 when
11 debug.eclass was purposely poisoned by QA"). So this versioning scheme is IMO
12 largely over-engineering a solution to a non-existent problem.
13
14 I'd like to say "use common sense" when announcing modifications to public
15 APIs, but we've proven time and again incapable of doing anything without a
16 painstakingly written procedure that we can all ignore or find loopholes in.
17 So 30 days sounds like a good minimum for an email to g-d-announce after all
18 in-tree uses are converted, unless your eclass has an "s", "y", or "e" in the
19 name in which case you roll a die and multiply by 30 (ie. current standard
20 practice).
24 fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
25 toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime
26 @ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662