From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] New project: GURU [Gentoo User Repository, Unreviewed]
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 14:02:34
1 On Mon, 2019-02-04 at 08:43 -0500, Brian Evans wrote:
2 > On 2/4/2019 8:28 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2019-02-04 at 11:58 +0100, Alexis Ballier wrote:
4 > > > On Sun, 03 Feb 2019 20:28:49 +0100
5 > > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > > ---
8 > > > > What do you think?
9 > > > >
10 > > >
11 > > > What is the difference with sunrise ?
12 > >
13 > > The difference, as noted in the mail, is that it doesn't rely
14 > > on developers having time to review ebuilds. Therefore, it is less
15 > > likely to die because of developers lacking time to review stuff.
16 >
17 > It's a horrible thing not to have reviewed builds. They can be
18 > increasingly bad quality. Even going as far as ignoring PMS or
19 > redefining every variable because they don't like things (yes, we've
20 > seen this in recent times).
21
22 That's inevitable. 'Horribly bad quality' happens in Gentoo as well,
23 more often than you think. The difference is, people throw mud at you
24 on public mailing lists if you dare point it out to them.
25
26 The question is: is the effort needed to review everything justified?
27 Let's say you have two repositories: one where everything is reviewed
28 (and people can commit only after getting approval), and the other where
29 it's not (and people can commit at any time, and others can improve
30 their ebuilds). You let them run like this for 6 months. Do you think
31 the number of good quality ebuilds in repository A will be significantly
32 greater than number of good quality ebuilds in repository B?
33
34 > We have Gentoo developers for a reason and that should not change.
35 > Blindly accepting community contributions is a dangerous game.
36
37 What is that reason? How is 'blindly accepting community contributions'
38 different from 'blindly accepting new developers'? In the former case,
39 at least we're not pretending things are secure when they're not.
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny